Sunday, 14 May 2023

New piece: "Anima Sola"...

 Yet another piece!

The Anima Sola icon is one of the most erotic looking pieces of Catholic imagery that I can think of - often the woman is depicted like someone you'd expect to see in a rock video, it borders on Eric Stanton cartoon territory depending on who captures it.  When I got really into icons, I reacted funny to it when I was reminded of it, because I probably saw it used as band cover art sometime in youth and never gave it much thought.

Using monochromatic colours, I wanted to capture the feeling of being in purgatory, trying to get that with the expression on her face.  I hope I succeeded, I had to go back and rework a few things when colours weren't working with a red pen (I went back to the art store and got a purple one instead).

I have a Big Phoney piece that's rather silly that I want to do, but lately these icon pieces are calling me to crank them out.

-Saraƒin

No comments:

Post a Comment