Saturday, 13 May 2023

New painting: "Wrath of the Mother"...

I wanted to do a piece with the Sacred Feminine in mind, with what I fear is inevitable in a world of excess, and what the Mother would feel about necessary darkness.  She cries blood because of the future, clutching a sword.  Acrylics and pen on canvas.

I bought more paint pens, they are a joy to use - much better on canvases than other pens I have tried.  Very good choice for getting the finer details nice and crisp.  They will probably be used a lot for future paintings.

I have been thinking a lot about AI art and how it's infuriating illustrators and graphic designers, and I wonder if a disdain for it will lead people to seek out art that looks obviously done by the human hand, as a response.  I recall what my comics instructor, Ty Templeton, said about how speech bubbles in comics that look a little "off" delight us because we see a human behind it, that digital ones are too slick sometimes and our eyes grow bored.  I assume that's going to happen with AI art too - not quite uncanny valley, but something else we don't like about robots and computers.  I want to see AI solve problems, not create new ones.  Anyway, I am not the most trained illustrator and I am starting to think that it might be to an advantage in the art world, if things get so slick that technical genius simply isn't admired quite the same way anymore.  Naive art, for the win.

I am hoping this creative streak lasts a while, because it's always fun when I get one of these.  I notice my mental health has been better since I began painting again.

Maybe I don't need any therapy except art therapy?

-Saraƒin

No comments:

Post a Comment