The muse is visiting these days, so I felt like painting again, and I wanted to tackle another Catholic martyr - St. Lucy of Syracuse, the patron saint of those who suffer from eye problems.
The story goes that around the time of her martyrdom, under torture, her eyes were gouged out, but God miraculously restored them. Most depictions of St. Lucy are not nearly this painful... I certainly seem to have themes of crying blood in a lot of my art.
I wanted this to be heavy on the pastels for an ethereal quality, as if Lucy is already in Heaven, despite her torment. Included are psychedelic lines in the background, adding to that ethereal quality. Initially, I was going to add pupils, but decided against it for an otherworldly feel that the absence of pupils seemed to give.
It kind of looks a bit like Vaporwave art, which was not my intention, but I don't mind. 11 x 14", acrylics, paint pens, Sharpies and imitation gold leaf on a sturdy canvas - $300.00 is my asking price, I think.
There are no shows coming up that I know of where this would work, but maybe someday.
-Saraƒin
UPDATE: I edited the edge of the plate St. Lucy is holding since this post, it was bothering me a bit - looks better now, though I have yet to take a new picture. I decided that I might give this to one of my best friends who really liked it, as a birthday present... when I told her, she said I should put it in a show first but she would gladly take it afterwards. Now that I think of it, maybe Northern Contemporary would take it for their annual "A Nightmare on Roncesvalles" Hallowe'en art show, because it's kind of horrific.
No comments:
Post a Comment